Developing the awareness is half the battle! Our Avalanche Awareness Courses are perfect for the winter outdoor recreational enthusiast that is looking to become more adventurous or the educator in a traditional or non-traditional school academic setting looking to enhance their current curriculum. Facilitated by outdoor professionals with real world experience, our 1 – 6 hours Avalanche Awareness Courses provide a basic introduction to the avalanche phenomena, and firm foundation to build off of for future coursework.
Student learning outcomes:
At the end of the Avalanche Awareness course the student should be able to:
- Have a basic understanding of the avalanche phenomena.
- Have a basic understanding of what avalanche terrain looks like.
- Have a basic understanding of avalanche related gear.
- Have a basic understanding of avalanche resources.
- Have a basic understanding of appropriate next steps for avalanche education.
Instructional sessions (1 – 6 hours including both class and/or field instruction) :
- Overview of the avalanche phenomena.
- Overview of avalanche terrain.
- Overview of avalanche related gear and equipment.
- Overview of avalanche related resources.
Upcoming Avalanche Awareness Courses:
Pre-Requisites: No pre-requisites required. No equipment required unless course will be outdoors.
Dates & Times: TBD
Location: Schweitzer Mountain, ID (21 and under courses) | Lookout Pass, ID/MT (21 and under courses) |Mt. Spokane, WA | and/or Flatiron Mountain, MT*
Ages: 10 + y/o
Cost: $15 (1 hour classroom only) | $75 (6 hour classroom and field) | (scholarships also available). $200 minimum per date.
*It should be noted, all course locations are subject to permitting and condition considerations and will be finalized a month out. However, all course locations are within driving distance of each other.